I made my first ever lasagne last night! Was pretty exciting but definitely a dish for a Sunday afternoon of slow cooking rather then a speedy mid week dish!!! I cooked everything around 2-pm and then left it until I wanted to get it into the oven. The reasoning behind that was that I didn’t want to start cooking the pasta sheets long before we were going to eat. In hindsight though because I used gluten free pasta sheets (and gluten free pasta always takes way longer to cook) I should have assembled when it was warm and left it to start softening those sheets away!
500g good Angus beef mince
500g Lamb mince
1 whole brown onion diced
2 garlic cloves diced
1 tins of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 cups good red wine
1 bag of baby spinach (optional)
One box of lasagne sheets
White sauce –
3 1/2 cups milk
4 bay leaves
10 pepper corns
large pinch of nutmeg
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 cups shredded cheese
- Heat oil in pan and add in onion. Sauté until translucent. Add in garlic and stir until fragrant.
- add in both beef and lamb mince and using spoon break it up until no lumps and browned.
- add in tin tomatoes, paste and wine and bring to the boil.
- after the mixture as lost half it’s liquid add in the bag of spinach (optional)
- remove from heat once all liquid has evaporated.
- For the white sauce – melt butter in a pan, add in flour and make a rue.
- add in milk slowly to form a good thick liquid (you will need to remove from the heat every now and then to slow down the thickening process otherwise you will get lumps!)
- Add in pepper, cloves, bay leaves, parmesan cheese and nutmeg and put aside for the mixed to fuse. Then strain after about 10 minutes.
- Pre Heat oven for 200 degrees and assemble lasagne.
- I used a 12 cup capacity square baking dish but if I had a rectangle one I think that would have been better!
- Put a layer of white sauce on the bottom of the dish and then a layer of lasagne sheets and then a layer of meaty sauce.
- continue this to be left with a layer of white sauce on the top and top with shredded cheese
- bake until the cheese is golden – around 20 minutes.