This recipe is my ideal comfort food. Creamy, cheesy and easy to shovel into your mouth with minimal effort!
Originally I made this as a mushroom risotto but then man in my life is big on meat and therefore added in the chicken. If you want to keep it vegetarian then minus out the chicken and add in around 250g more of mushrooms.
1 1/2 cups Arborio Rice
3 cups chicken/veg stock
1/4 cup White wine (optional)
3 cups water
1 brown onion diced
400g chicken breast cubed
400g button mushroom diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
200g Parmesan cheese grated
4 tbsp Oil
- bring to the boil the stock and water and then lower to a simmer the whole time you are cooking
- in a deep frying pan heat 2 tbsp oil and add in chicken, brown and remove from pan
- add in 2 tbsp oil, fry off onion and garlic.
- Once translucent add in the rice and coat with the oil.
- Throw in wine and cook off the alcohol
- add in 2 ladles of stock and stir.
- Repeat until you have used half the stock mixture.
- Add in mushrooms and keep stirring
- Continue gradually adding in the stock until all stock has been used, rice tender and rice has absorbed all the yummy goodness!
- Stir through 3/4 of the parmesan cheese
- Serve in warm bowls and sprinkle with remaining cheese.